Re: BUG #15243: make check shows errors, i.e. fails to find initdb and others - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BUG #15243: make check shows errors, i.e. fails to find initdb and others
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Mario Emmenlauer <mario@emmenlauer.de> writes:
> On 15.06.2018 23:20, Tom Lane wrote:
>> This suggests that the temp installation failed to be made, but you did
>> not show us the part of the make log where that should've happened;
>> it'd be before this extract, of course.

> I have tried the build again and this time I used the directories
> /data/Debug/Shared/postgresql-10.4 for the build and /data/Debug/Shared
> for the installation. /data/ is a symlink to /data1/ on my machine, in
> case that makes a difference. The build works fine so I only attach the
> log from 'make -j1 check'.

Hm ... definitely no temp installation creation happening there :-(

Looking at the make code that should be invoking this, I'm guessing
that you must be hitting one of the "if" conditions that prevent the
rule from being executed:

check: temp-install

.PHONY: temp-install
temp-install:
ifndef NO_TEMP_INSTALL
ifneq ($(abs_top_builddir),)
ifeq ($(MAKELEVEL),0)
    rm -rf '$(abs_top_builddir)'/tmp_install
    $(MKDIR_P) '$(abs_top_builddir)'/tmp_install/log
    $(MAKE) -C '$(top_builddir)' DESTDIR='$(abs_top_builddir)'/tmp_install install
>'$(abs_top_builddir)'/tmp_install/log/install.log2>&1
endif
    $(if $(EXTRA_INSTALL),for extra in $(EXTRA_INSTALL); do $(MAKE) -C '$(top_builddir)'/$$extra
DESTDIR='$(abs_top_builddir)'/tmp_installinstall >>'$(abs_top_builddir)'/tmp_install/log/install.log || exit; done)
endif
endif

The most likely bet is that the MAKELEVEL condition is firing,
perhaps because you're invoking "make check" from some makefile of
your own rather than by hand.  If so, you could try doing this:

    unset MAKELEVEL && make check

            regards, tom lane