Re: BUG #15243: make check shows errors, i.e. fails to find initdband others - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Mario Emmenlauer
Subject Re: BUG #15243: make check shows errors, i.e. fails to find initdband others
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Dear Tom,

On 18.06.2018 22:36, Tom Lane wrote:
> Mario Emmenlauer <mario@emmenlauer.de> writes:
>> On 15.06.2018 23:20, Tom Lane wrote:
>>> This suggests that the temp installation failed to be made, but you did
>>> not show us the part of the make log where that should've happened;
>>> it'd be before this extract, of course.
>
>> I have tried the build again and this time I used the directories
>> /data/Debug/Shared/postgresql-10.4 for the build and /data/Debug/Shared
>> for the installation. /data/ is a symlink to /data1/ on my machine, in
>> case that makes a difference. The build works fine so I only attach the
>> log from 'make -j1 check'.
>
> Hm ... definitely no temp installation creation happening there :-(
>
> Looking at the make code that should be invoking this, I'm guessing
> that you must be hitting one of the "if" conditions that prevent the
> rule from being executed:
>
> check: temp-install
>
> .PHONY: temp-install
> temp-install:
> ifndef NO_TEMP_INSTALL
> ifneq ($(abs_top_builddir),)
> ifeq ($(MAKELEVEL),0)
>     rm -rf '$(abs_top_builddir)'/tmp_install
>     $(MKDIR_P) '$(abs_top_builddir)'/tmp_install/log
>     $(MAKE) -C '$(top_builddir)' DESTDIR='$(abs_top_builddir)'/tmp_install install
>'$(abs_top_builddir)'/tmp_install/log/install.log2>&1

> endif
>     $(if $(EXTRA_INSTALL),for extra in $(EXTRA_INSTALL); do $(MAKE) -C '$(top_builddir)'/$$extra
DESTDIR='$(abs_top_builddir)'/tmp_installinstall >>'$(abs_top_builddir)'/tmp_install/log/install.log || exit; done)

> endif
> endif
>
> The most likely bet is that the MAKELEVEL condition is firing,
> perhaps because you're invoking "make check" from some makefile of
> your own rather than by hand.  If so, you could try doing this:
>
>     unset MAKELEVEL && make check

Very good observation! Horray! This is actually the very cause of
the problem! I build PostgreSQL from inside my build system that is
itself based on Makefiles.

I now added 'unset MAKEFLAGS && unset MAKELEVEL', and everything
works as expected! Hats off to you!

All the best,

    Mario Emmenlauer

--
BioDataAnalysis GmbH, Mario Emmenlauer      Tel. Buero: +49-89-74677203
Balanstr. 43                   mailto: memmenlauer * biodataanalysis.de