Re: BUG #15243: make check shows errors, i.e. fails to find initdb and others - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BUG #15243: make check shows errors, i.e. fails to find initdb and others
Date
List pgsql-bugs
=?utf-8?q?PG_Bug_reporting_form?= <noreply@postgresql.org> writes:
> I tried my first build of PostgreSQL 10.4 on Ubuntu Linux 16.04 today. The
> build worked out of the box. However `make check` fails. I am under the
> impression that it tries a "strange" path to search for build-time binaries.
> But I'm not experienced enough to figure out why.

It's hard for someone else to be sure either.  What "make check" is
supposed to do is create a temporary installation under
...sourcedir.../tmp_install/, so this:

> PATH="/tmp/Debug/Shared/postgresql-10.4/tmp_install/thirdparty/Debug/Shared/bin:$PATH"

looks correct if your PG source is in /tmp/Debug/Shared/postgresql-10.4/
and the configured real installation path is /thirdparty/Debug/Shared/.
You confirmed the latter but not the former.

> In /tmp/Debug/Shared/postgresql-10.4/src/test/regress/log/initdb.log there
> is just a short message saying that initdb was not found.

This suggests that the temp installation failed to be made, but you did
not show us the part of the make log where that should've happened;
it'd be before this extract, of course.

Also, were you trying a VPATH build, or just build-in-source-tree?
That affects where this stuff would end up.

            regards, tom lane