Re: MSSQL to PostgreSQL : Encoding problem - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tomi NA
Subject Re: MSSQL to PostgreSQL : Encoding problem
Date
List pgsql-general
2006/11/21, Arnaud Lesauvage <thewild@freesurf.fr>:
> Hi list !
>
> I already posted this as "COPY FROM encoding error", but I have
> been doing some more tests since then.
>
> I'm trying to export data from MS SQL Server to PostgreSQL.
> The tables are quite big (>20M rows), so a CSV export and a "COPY
> FROM3 import seems to be the only reasonable solution.

I believe you might have more luck working without files altogether.
Use an ETL tool like kettle or even DTS with the pgsql ODBC driver.
That's exactly what those tools are for.

You still have to get the encodings right, though.
I suggest unicode for pgsql, but only you know how the MSSQL database
is encoded.

t.n.a.