Re: MSSQL to PostgreSQL : Encoding problem - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Arnaud Lesauvage
Subject Re: MSSQL to PostgreSQL : Encoding problem
Date
List pgsql-general
Richard Huxton a écrit :
> Arnaud Lesauvage wrote:
>> Richard Huxton a écrit :
>>>
>>> Or go via MS-Access/Perl and ODBC/DBI perhaps?
>>
>> Yes, I think it would work. The problem is that the DB is too big for
>> this king of export. Using DTS from MSSQL to export directly to
>> PostgreSQL using psqlODBC Unicode Driver, I exported ~1000 rows per
>> second in a 2-columns table with ~20M rows. That means several days just
>> for this table, and I have bigger ones !
>
> Well it's about 0.25 days, but if it's too long, it's too long.

Sure, sorry for the confusion, the problem is with the other
tables (same number of rows but a lot of columns, some very
large).

>> > Collation in MSSQL is SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_Cl_AS.
>> > DTS documentation tells me that exporting in ANSI should export using
>> > the current codepage.
>> > According to my local setting, my codepage is Windows-1252.
>> > This file is not correctly read by COPY when using client_encoding of
>> > WIN1252 though...
>
> Hmm. Odd that they don't agree on what WIN1252 is. I'm not sure how to
> check the file and confirm one way or the other. Anyone else on the list
> got an idea?

I just downloaded the GnuWin32 version of iconv.
I'm giving it a try and I'll tell you haw it went.

--
Arnaud