Re: MSSQL to PostgreSQL : Encoding problem - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Arnaud Lesauvage
Subject Re: MSSQL to PostgreSQL : Encoding problem
Date
List pgsql-general
Tomi NA a écrit :
> 2006/11/21, Arnaud Lesauvage <thewild@freesurf.fr>:
>> Hi list !
>>
>> I already posted this as "COPY FROM encoding error", but I have
>> been doing some more tests since then.
>>
>> I'm trying to export data from MS SQL Server to PostgreSQL.
>> The tables are quite big (>20M rows), so a CSV export and a "COPY
>> FROM3 import seems to be the only reasonable solution.
>
> I believe you might have more luck working without files altogether.
> Use an ETL tool like kettle or even DTS with the pgsql ODBC driver.
> That's exactly what those tools are for.
>
> You still have to get the encodings right, though.
> I suggest unicode for pgsql, but only you know how the MSSQL database
> is encoded.

I think I'll go this way... No other choice, actually !
The MSSQL database is in SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_Cl_AS.
I don't really understand what this is. It supports the euro
symbol, so it is probably not pure LATIN1, right ?

--
Arnaud