Re: MSSQL to PostgreSQL : Encoding problem - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: MSSQL to PostgreSQL : Encoding problem
Date
List pgsql-general
Arnaud Lesauvage wrote:
> Alvaro Herrera a écrit :
> >Arnaud Lesauvage wrote:

> >>Yep, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin-1 tells me that
> >>LATIN1 is missing the euro sign...
> >>Grrrrr I hate this !!!
> >
> >So use Latin9 ...
>
> Of course, but it doesn't work !!!
> Whatever client encoding I choose in postgresql before
> COPYing, I get the 'invalid byte sequence error'.

Humm ... how are you choosing the client encoding?  Is it actually
working?  I don't see how choosing Latin1 or Latin9 and feeding whatever
byte sequence would give you an "invalid byte sequence".  These charsets
don't have any way to validate the bytes, as opposed to what UTF-8 can
do.  So you could end up with invalid bytes if you choose the wrong
client encoding, but that's a different error.