Re: Incremental Backups in postgres - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Mead
Subject Re: Incremental Backups in postgres
Date
List pgsql-general

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 12:51 PM, akp geek <akpgeek@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi All -
                  I have read the document got a reasonable
understanding of the WAL process. I have some confusion regarding the
process.

1. I have set up the archiving process. Now the archive file are going
to a different mount point.
2. I set up job to create a back up of the PGDATA directory

Before you backup PGDATA, you either need to stop the database or use pg_start_backup('label');

After your backup, you would need to run: pg_stop_backup();

Are the 2 above steps enough for recovery. My confusion is why we need
to have  Making a Base Backup. When you have time can you please
clarify?

  Remember, an 'incremental' backup is an increment to an original full backup.  That's why you need to make a backup of the PGDATA.

--Scott