Re: Editor for sgml files - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Editor for sgml files
Date
List pgsql-general
On ons, 2009-11-11 at 08:32 -0500, Bill Moran wrote:

> > * The Elements of Style
>
> Hope this doesn't start a flame war, but:
> http://chronicle.com/article/50-Years-of-Stupid-Grammar/25497

Yeah, you need to be prepared to reject about 30% of the advice and
guidelines in each of the sources I mentioned.

However, some of the prescriptionism in these various style guides that
a writer or journalist might ordinarily complain about is actually a
good idea for open-source documentation writing, because it enforces
consistency.  For similar reasons we have commenting and indentation and
portability conventions, even though purists might complain about "35
years of stupid C code". ;-)