Re: upgrade to 8.4 with new character set - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: upgrade to 8.4 with new character set
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 10:45:55AM -0500, Kevin Duffy wrote:
> We originally built our database with a character set of SQL_ASCII.  We
> now know the error of our foolish ways.  We are trying to upgrade to 8.4
> and the windows binaries would like us to use UTF8.  I would like to use
> a backup to restore onto the new installation, however I am getting
> warnings and errors about how I am trying to restore a SQL_ASCII
> character set to a UTF8 Database.  I need to have confidence that my
> data is intact before I can continue with the upgrade.  I was wondering
> what would be the best course of action.  I currently have the 8.4
> database installed on a separate machine for testing.

Do you know what character you were using before. If, for example, you
know that all the data is actually in latin1 or win1252, then you can
just change the client_encoding in the dump file and reload it into
your utf-8 database.

Hope this helps,

Attachment