Re: OS X Install - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Monte Milanuk
Subject Re: OS X Install
Date
List pgsql-general
I'm kind of at the same point:  I d/I'd the postgreSQL package from
entropy.ch, and it apparently installed OK.  As mentioned, there already
was a postgres user in NetInfo (Panther on an eMac).  Tried just
changing the password, home directory, and shell to valid values instead
of '*' and '/dev/null'.  Couldn't login via 'su - postgres' at all.
Tried deleting the postgres user in NetInfo, and re-creating via the
Account Manager, but I kept getting an error message that I couldn't use
that name (postgres).

I read the post above about deleting the group info as well; that
allowed me to create a user 'postgres' via the Account Manager.  Figure
I'll have to twiddle the home dir and shell and whatnot via NetInfo.
How do I make that user not visible in the login selection?  Should I
delete the user 'postgres' in the Account Manager and re-create him w/
the necessary parameters (shell, home dir, password) from the Terminal?

Thanks,

Monte