Re: modules - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Dunstan
Subject Re: modules
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 10:36 PM, Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:
>  No. I don't want to deprecate it, I want to get rid of it, lock, stock and
> barrel. If you think that we need more than renaming then we can discuss it,
> but I don't want a long death, I want one that is certain and swift.

I'll admit that I had thought that moving contrib modules over to a
modules dir as they were, uh, modularized would be the way forward.
Anything that doesn't fit the database-owner-installable pattern
(pgbench? start-scripts? others?) could end up in a utils dir, and
anything left in contrib shows us what's left to do before e.g. 8.4.
The end goal would be no more contrib dir by the next major release.

As a side note, how were you intending to rename contrib? Directory
shenanigans in CVS are horrible, particularly if you want  all your
old branches to still work.

Cheers

Tom