Re: modules - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From D'Arcy J.M. Cain
Subject Re: modules
Date
Re: modules  (Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 13:06:25 -0400
Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:
> D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:
> > In fact, this may be the way to deprecate contrib.  Start building
> > modules and move the contrib packages to it one at a time.  That way
> > people using contrib have some time to switch and we can point people
> > to modules if they are just starting out.
> >
> > Is there support for this idea?  I would like to start exploring this
> > if so.
>
> No. I don't want to deprecate it, I want to get rid of it, lock, stock
> and barrel. If you think that we need more than renaming then we can
> discuss it, but I don't want a long death, I want one that is certain
> and swift.

Well, OK, but given that this is a huge public project with lots of
users expecting things to be in certain places, how fast do you think
we could make such a change.  It seems to me that we are going to have
to make things look the same for some time at least otherwise we are
going to have lots of complaints.  How swift is swift?  To me, swift
means add the alternate functionality to the next release and remove
the old in the release after. Do you see things happening any faster?

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@druid.net>         |  Democracy is three wolves