Re: Optimal Postgres Development Process, Software - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From ben sewell
Subject Re: Optimal Postgres Development Process, Software
Date
List pgsql-novice
Hi Roger,
I'm developing an access frontend for a postgresql backend as well. I think you have anything covered, apart from the handling of booleans which could really save you changing code in your existing front end.

Regards,
Ben

On 8/16/06, Roger Rasmussen <pgsqln00b@australiamail.com> wrote:
operationsengineer wrote:
> i think converting Access to a front end for PGSQL is
> a great idea - then you can focus your energy learning
> to administer PGSQL and spend some down time reading
> up on and evaluating languages.

I think a variation on this theme will work well. I will start coding the backend of a small database (e.g. stockroom) with postgres, to learn how it works. At the moment I am a bit scared at the magnitude of the task, so a small database will give me opportunity to experiment with types etc. As I have questions, I will ask here.

I will then experiment with various front ends. One of which will be dabo, as Glenn suggests. Meanwhile maybe someone here will offer up a holy grail I hadn't thought of.

If nothing else is suitable, I will continue with access - either 97 or 2003. I do like the pivot table/chart feature that it has, that functionality would be excellent for dabo to emulate.

Thanks for all the help, and if anyone has more thoughts on this topic I am all ears. I think I will formulate some questions as to the first part of my project in another email.

Cheers,
pgsqln00b

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend