Re: Return type for procedure - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From ben sewell
Subject Re: Return type for procedure
Date
List pgsql-novice
Hi Jaime,
thanks for your reply.

Could anyone check if this is correct for what I'm trying to do

CREATE FUNCTION test(id integer,name varchar,date_start date date_end date) RETURNS record as $$
$$ language 'your-language';

if id="1" then
select * from tblemployee;
elseif id="2" then
select client_name,address
from tblclients;
endif

and then execute the function as

select * from test() as (report1, report2)

would this work? This is just example code for select statements which are far much longer

Cheers,
Ben

On 8/16/06, Jaime Casanova <systemguards@gmail.com> wrote:

> What I was wondering was if it was possible for me to return different user
> defined types. To try to illustrate what I mean, here's some example code
> which I think is allowed:

yes.

just create your functions as:

CREATE FUNCTION test() RETURNS record as $$
$$ language 'your-language';

then execute the function as

select * from test() as (field1 type1, field2 type2...);

--
regards,
Jaime Casanova

to produce bigger and better idiots.