Renaming some binaries - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Euler Taveira
Subject Renaming some binaries
Date
Re: Renaming some binaries  (Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com>)
Re: Renaming some binaries  (Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de>)
Re: Renaming some binaries  (Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

I'm bringing this $subject into discussion again. Historically, we are
carrying binary names that have been confused newbies. createuser is the
worst name so for. Also, names like createdb, initdb, reindexdb, and
droplang does not suggest what product it is referring to. Adding a
prefix (pg_, pg, ...) would 'make things clear'. If we have a consensus
about this change, I suggest renaming the following binaries:

clusterdb
createdb
createlang
createuser
dropdb
droplang
dropuser
initdb
oid2name
reindexdb
vacuumdb
vacuumlo

Another major change related to this topic is assemble functionalities
from binaries. We currently have 34 binaries (is that a lot for a single
software?). Also, some of them have the same principle: execute a
administrative or maintenance command. IMHO, from the list above, we
could reduce it to:

pg_command: clusterdb, createdb, dropdb, createuser, dropuser,
createlang, droplang, reindexdb, vacuumdb, vacuumlo. It also has the
advantage to allow adding new administrative/maintenance commands to it
in the future;
pg_oid2name: I don't have a strong opinion that it fits in pg_command;
initdb: we already have 'pg_ctl init' (since 9.0) and could remove initdb.

Opinions?

--   Euler Taveira                   Timbira - http://www.timbira.com.br/  PostgreSQL: Consultoria, Desenvolvimento,
Suporte24x7 e Treinamento