Re: Renaming of pg_xlog and pg_clog - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Renaming of pg_xlog and pg_clog
Date
Re: Renaming of pg_xlog and pg_clog  (Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com>)
Re: Renaming of pg_xlog and pg_clog  (Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
> On Aug 26, 2016 5:54 PM, "Peter Eisentraut" <
> peter.eisentraut@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>> If we're going to do some renaming, then I suggest we do a
>> mini-file-system structure under $PGDATA, like
>>
>> $PGDATA/etc
>> $PGDATA/log
>> $PGDATA/run (lock files etc.)
>> $PGDATA/tmp
>> $PGDATA/var
>>
>> The names of all the things under "var" could still be refined, but it's
>> much less likely that users will confuse data with configuration or
>> plain logs under that scheme

> Interesting idea. I worry a bit that this might encourage distributions to
> split it up into different places though, and I'm not sure we want to
> encourage that..

Yeah, I'm afraid that these names are not as well standardized as Peter
probably wishes they were.  Also, I'd just as soon not move/rename things
that don't really need it.  If, for example, we decide to move
postgresql.conf to etc/postgresql.conf, that is going to break a metric
ton of stuff that doesn't need to get broken AFAICS.