Re: Renaming of pg_xlog and pg_clog - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Renaming of pg_xlog and pg_clog
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 08/26/2016 09:28 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> On Aug 26, 2016 5:54 PM, "Peter Eisentraut" <
>> peter.eisentraut@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>>> If we're going to do some renaming, then I suggest we do a
>>> mini-file-system structure under $PGDATA, like
>>>
>>> $PGDATA/etc
>>> $PGDATA/log
>>> $PGDATA/run (lock files etc.)
>>> $PGDATA/tmp
>>> $PGDATA/var
>>>
>>> The names of all the things under "var" could still be refined, but it's
>>> much less likely that users will confuse data with configuration or
>>> plain logs under that scheme
>
>> Interesting idea. I worry a bit that this might encourage distributions to
>> split it up into different places though, and I'm not sure we want to
>> encourage that..
>
> Yeah, I'm afraid that these names are not as well standardized as Peter
> probably wishes they were.  Also, I'd just as soon not move/rename things
> that don't really need it.  If, for example, we decide to move
> postgresql.conf to etc/postgresql.conf, that is going to break a metric
> ton of stuff that doesn't need to get broken AFAICS.

I am not so sure that is accurate. Yes, Windows is an outlying but any
Unix person is going to easily understand etc log run. Further as Linux
is by far our most run platform (outside of possibly Windows) it will
feel right at home for the largest growing user base. Personally I
really like the idea of:

$PGDATA/etc/postgresql.conf
$PGDATA/log/Thu.log
$PGDATA/run/postmaster.pid