Re: Renaming some binaries - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: Renaming some binaries
Date
Re: Renaming some binaries  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 26 August 2016 at 18:26, Euler Taveira <euler@timbira.com.br> wrote:

> I'm bringing this $subject into discussion again. Historically, we are
> carrying binary names that have been confused newbies. createuser is the
> worst name so for. Also, names like createdb, initdb, reindexdb, and
> droplang does not suggest what product it is referring to. Adding a
> prefix (pg_, pg, ...) would 'make things clear'. If we have a consensus
> about this change, I suggest renaming the following binaries:
>
> clusterdb
> createdb
> createlang
> createuser
> dropdb
> droplang
> dropuser
> initdb
> oid2name
> reindexdb
> vacuumdb
> vacuumlo

Why not just remove them all and change the docs to suggest using

psql -c "CREATE DATABASE foo"
etc

Less code, no confusion because we have just one client tool - psql.

Almost all serious users will be issuing more than one DDL command at
a time, so they'll be writing a script anyway.