Re: WIP: WAL prefetch (another approach) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tomas Vondra
Subject Re: WIP: WAL prefetch (another approach)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 4/21/21 6:30 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@gmail.com> writes:
>> Yeah, it would have been nice to include that but it'll have to be for
>> v15 due to lack of time to convince myself that it was correct.  I do
>> intend to look into more concurrency of that kind for v15.  I have
>> pushed these patches, updated to be disabled by default.
>
> I have a fairly bad feeling about these patches.  I've already fixed
> one critical bug (see 9e4114822), but I am still seeing random, hard
> to reproduce failures in WAL replay testing.  It looks like sometimes
> the "decoded" version of a WAL record doesn't match what I see in
> the on-disk data, which I'm having no luck tracing down.
>
> Another interesting failure I just came across is
>
> 2021-04-21 11:32:14.280 EDT [14606] LOG:  incorrect resource manager data checksum in record at F/438000A4
> TRAP: FailedAssertion("state->decoding", File: "xlogreader.c", Line: 845, PID: 14606)
> 2021-04-21 11:38:23.066 EDT [14603] LOG:  startup process (PID 14606) was terminated by signal 6: Abort trap
>
> with stack trace
>
> #0  0x90b669f0 in kill ()
> #1  0x90c01bfc in abort ()
> #2  0x0057a6a0 in ExceptionalCondition (conditionName=<value temporarily unavailable, due to optimizations>,
errorType=<valuetemporarily unavailable, due to optimizations>, fileName=<value temporarily unavailable, due to
optimizations>,lineNumber=<value temporarily unavailable, due to optimizations>) at assert.c:69

errormsg=<valuetemporarily unavailable, due to optimizations>) at xlogreader.c:352

temporarilyunavailable, due to optimizations>) at bootstrap.c:447

unavailable,due to optimizations>) at main.c:209

> I am not sure whether the checksum failure itself is real or a variant
> of the seeming bad-reconstruction problem, but what I'm on about right
> at this moment is that the error handling logic for this case seems
> quite broken.  Why is a checksum failure only worthy of a LOG message?
> Why is ValidXLogRecord() issuing a log message for itself, rather than
> being tied into the report_invalid_record() mechanism?  Why are we
> evidently still trying to decode records afterwards?

Yeah, that seems suspicious.

> In general, I'm not too pleased with the apparent attitude in this
> thread that it's okay to push a patch that only mostly works on the
> last day of the dev cycle and plan to stabilize it later.

Was there such attitude? I don't think people were arguing for pushing a
patch's not working correctly. The discussion was mostly about getting
it committed even and leaving some optimizations for v15.

regards

--
Tomas Vondra
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company