Re: populating a table via the COPY command using C code. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Sean Davis
Subject Re: populating a table via the COPY command using C code.
Date
List pgsql-general
On Apr 27, 2005, at 4:48 PM, Mak, Jason wrote:

> What's your thoughts??  which approach would be the fastest?
> 1) 2 step process.
> 2) realtime PQputCopyData - not sure how this would work with 3
> different tables.
> 3) COPY tablename FROM 'filename'
>
> thanks,
> jason.

COPY tablename FROM 'filename'

is VERY fast.  Generally, I think people generally load the data into
postgres using COPY (perhaps into a "loader" table that isn't in the
same format that the final tables will be in) and then do data
manipulation and cleaning within the database using database tools.
This paradigm may or may not work for you, but it seems to be pretty
general.

Sean