Re: future of serial and identity columns - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: future of serial and identity columns
Date
Re: future of serial and identity columns  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 04.10.22 09:41, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Attached is a demo patch how the implementation of this change would
> look like.  This creates a bunch of regression test failures, but
> AFAICT, those are mainly display differences and some very peculiar test
> setups that are intentionally examining some edge cases.  These would
> need to be investigated in more detail, of course.

The feedback was pretty positive, so I dug through all the tests to at
least get to the point where I could see the end of it.  The attached
patch 0001 is the actual code and documentation changes.  The 0002 patch
is just tests randomly updated or disabled to make the whole suite pass.
  This reveals that there are a few things that would warrant further
investigation, in particular around extensions and partitioning.  To be
continued.

Attachment