Re: plan invalidation vs stored procedures - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: plan invalidation vs stored procedures
Date
Re: plan invalidation vs stored procedures  ("Asko Oja" <ascoja@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 2:20 AM, Marko Kreen <markokr@gmail.com> wrote:
> But the main problem is that if the DROP/CREATE happens, the failure
> mode is very nasty - you get permanent error on existing backends.
> (Main case I'm talking about is functions calling other functions.)
>
> Some sorta recovery mode would be nice to have, it does not even
> need function perfectly.  Giving error once and then recover would
> be better than requiring manual action from admin.

sure -- this a known issue --,  but the point is that there are not
that many reasons why you have to drop/create a function if you are
careful.  hiding function prototypes is actually pretty powerful
although you have to deal with creating the extra types.

merlin