Re: plan invalidation vs stored procedures - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Marko Kreen
Subject Re: plan invalidation vs stored procedures
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 8/6/08, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 2:20 AM, Marko Kreen <markokr@gmail.com> wrote:
>  > But the main problem is that if the DROP/CREATE happens, the failure
>  > mode is very nasty - you get permanent error on existing backends.
>  > (Main case I'm talking about is functions calling other functions.)
>  >
>  > Some sorta recovery mode would be nice to have, it does not even
>  > need function perfectly.  Giving error once and then recover would
>  > be better than requiring manual action from admin.
>
> sure -- this a known issue --,  but the point is that there are not
>  that many reasons why you have to drop/create a function if you are
>  careful.  hiding function prototypes is actually pretty powerful
>  although you have to deal with creating the extra types.

Um.  If you are talking about about returning type defined by CREATE TYPE
then you are wrong as changing type requires DROP+CREATE for both type
and function.

Again - the main problem is if you are not careful or really need to do
the DROP+CREATE, it will result in permanent errors in all backends.
To fix it, admin needs to manually intervene.  And this is silly,
as we already have all the mechanisms needed to survive the situation
gracefully.

--
marko