Re: plan invalidation vs stored procedures - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Asko Oja
Subject Re: plan invalidation vs stored procedures
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Don't you think we try to be careful but still we manage to overlook several times in year something and cause some stupid downtime.

On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 9:13 PM, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com> wrote:
On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 2:20 AM, Marko Kreen <markokr@gmail.com> wrote:
> But the main problem is that if the DROP/CREATE happens, the failure
> mode is very nasty - you get permanent error on existing backends.
> (Main case I'm talking about is functions calling other functions.)
>
> Some sorta recovery mode would be nice to have, it does not even
> need function perfectly.  Giving error once and then recover would
> be better than requiring manual action from admin.

sure -- this a known issue --,  but the point is that there are not
that many reasons why you have to drop/create a function if you are
careful.  hiding function prototypes is actually pretty powerful
although you have to deal with creating the extra types.

merlin