Re: Data transfer between databases over the Internet - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: Data transfer between databases over the Internet
Date
List pgsql-general
On 11/22/06, John McCawley <nospam@hardgeus.com> wrote:
> I'm not really sure what switching development platforms for the tool
> would buy me.  Are you saying that the wire-protocol used by vb.net and
> C# etc. is substantially faster than what is available in VB?  Regarding

no, the wire protocols are the same (dictated by the server).  also,
c# and vb.net are almost functionally the same language.

> ASP.net, I don't really see how a web app would help here, as it has to
> run on hundreds of client machines...Are you suggesting that I install a
> webserver on them?

no, i think he is suggesting you rewrite your app as server side
application using asp.net.  There are pros and cons to this argument
but if you have a very short timeframe I would suggest going with what
you know.  This could be odbc based or whatever you are most
comfortable with.  Simple transfers can actually work quite well with
vanilla insert statements via odbc/vbscript, especially if you use
(8.1) multiple line insert statements.

My suggestion would be to have your client app connect directly to the
database and tranfer the data via standard sql...insert statements and
such.  You can connect directly via ssl or set up a ssh tunnel
forwarding the port to the protected port on the server side...I
prefer to tunnel because this allows me to compile postgresql without
ssl support.  What to do here is really a matter of style.  It is
perfectly safe as long as you take the proper precautions although I
would use nonstandard ports regardless.

merlin