Re: Data transfer between databases over the Internet - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tony Caduto
Subject Re: Data transfer between databases over the Internet
Date
List pgsql-general
Merlin Moncure wrote:

> no, the wire protocols are the same (dictated by the server).  also,
> c# and vb.net are almost functionally the same language.

Hi,

 From experience NPGSQL seems faster than ODBC, though they have the
same wire protocol.  Must have something to do with the overhead of ODBC.

All .net languages are basically the same but C# has less baggage than
VB.net because VB.net requires special assemblies for VB features.

I suggested .net as the npgsql .net data provider is pretty thin
compared to libpq.dll which has a ton of dependencies these days that
must also be deployed.
Of course you would need .net on all the client PCs, but more than
likely it's already installed.

If the client side app is pretty simple then it would be a good idea to
migrate away from VB 6 as it really is a dead language now.

Food for thought :-)

Later,

--
Tony Caduto