Re: Linux distro - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andrej Ricnik-Bay
Subject Re: Linux distro
Date
Re: Linux distro  ("Brian Mathis" <brian.mathis@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
On 8/3/07, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com> wrote:

> they do, but experience has shown it is prudent to be able to
> administrate the hardware directly from the box.
I'm curious:  which aspect of hardware administration
on a Linux box would require X (to be running)?  If I *really*
needed applet such-and-such I could still run it easily, with
less overhead and w/o the X server even being installed on
the big iron from my desktop ...

ssh -X user@server whizbangGUItool

> I expect trend of desktop style management to continue
> (for the record, I would really prefer these devices to present
> html interfaces vs. java).
I'm afraid you're right - and it was what I dislike(d) most about
Oracles products.  The fact that 10g ships with the actual database
on a CD, and the admin stuff on DVDs.  Friggin nightmare.

> I'm actually recently converted from the 'anti-x' camp.  This is
> because I'm now using linux on a desktop and found it to be remarkably
> efficient but also was recently in a situation where I regretted not
> having it installed.  I completely understand and sympathize with the
> other side of the argument however.  I just don't care anymore, maybe
> I'm getting old :-).
Nuh mate, that's not old, it's inefficient (and too lazy to know
the ropes, relying on an "intuitive GUI")  ;} ...
/me ducks

> merlin

Cheers,
Andrej

--
Please don't top post, and don't use HTML e-Mail :}  Make your quotes concise.