Apparent Problem With NULL in Restoring pg_dump - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Rich Shepard
Subject Apparent Problem With NULL in Restoring pg_dump
Date
Re: Apparent Problem With NULL in Restoring pg_dump  (Andy Colson <andy@squeakycode.net>)
Re: Apparent Problem With NULL in Restoring pg_dump  (Alban Hertroys <haramrae@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
   The .sql file produced by pg_dump is properly terminated with '\.' as the
last line, yet I continue to encounter this error:

ERROR:  invalid input syntax for type real: "     "
CONTEXT:  COPY chemistry, line 47363, column quant: "     "

when trying to re-create the table.

   It appears that this error is generated when a row has a missing value in
the 'quant' column and the column contains '\N' in the text file. For
example,

\N    GW-22    2005-03-09    Depth to Water        \N    Feet    \N
\N    \N    \N

(It is a single line in emacs but wraps in alpine.)

   Is there a different way for me to represent NULL in this text file?
Replacing \N with NULL produces the same error.

   I'm not certain that this line is the real source of the problem but I'm
quite confident that it is the one throwing the error.

Rich