Re: Apparent Problem With NULL in Restoring pg_dump [UPDATE] - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Rich Shepard
Subject Re: Apparent Problem With NULL in Restoring pg_dump [UPDATE]
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, 15 Sep 2011, Rich Shepard wrote:

>  It appears that this error is generated when a row has a missing value in
> the 'quant' column and the column contains '\N' in the text file. For
> example,
>
> \N    GW-22    2005-03-09    Depth to Water        \N    Feet    \N
> \N    \N    \N

   Something strange is going on here. I moved the above line from row 47363
(within the COPY block) to row 2. This produced this error:

  ERROR:  extra data after last expected column
CONTEXT:  COPY chemistry, line 2: "\N   GW-22   2005-03-09      Depth to
Water \N       Feet    \N      \N      \N      \N"

   I created a blank line just beneath this one and entered the same data on
this new row, ensuring that there are no extra data after column #10. The
results are the same:

ERROR:  extra data after last expected column
CONTEXT:  COPY chemistry, line 2: "\N   GW-22   2005-03-09      Depth to
Water \N       Feet    \N      \N      \N      \N"

   What could possibly be going on here? This row was not modified by me
after running pg_dump on the chemistry table, so why will it not be
restored?

Totally confused,

Rich