Re: [HACKERS] Other formats in pset like markdown, rst, mediawiki - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Fabien COELHO
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Other formats in pset like markdown, rst, mediawiki
Date
List pgsql-hackers
>> I still do not understand "why" this variant vs CommonMark or whatever
>> other version.
>
> Because of simply implementation and readability (looks similar to aligned
> format) and it is comfortable to edit generated table (changing values,
> aligning columns etc.).

Hmmm. Why not.

> Sorry, maybe I`m not understanding, there is problems with characters like
> pipe in cells, pipe should be escaped. What other special markdown
> characters? Escaping html code in cells?

Markdown include characters/sequences which are interpreted as markers:
_Italic_, **Bold**, *** => horizontal rules, > block quote... `inline
code`... If they are interpreted within a table cell then probably they
should be escaped somehow.

>>> Main of the functionality is used from aligned format. I tested returned
>>> tables in retext and it works. If i have another character than standart
>>> pipe, it shouldn`t work.
>>>
>> Sure. ISTM that you are currently using U+2502 instead of pipe, hence my
>> point.
>
> Could you send me example where?

I already did in the first mail with the example output copy pasted from
psql. Some characters are pipe and others are BOX DRAWINGS LIGHT VERTICAL
characters.

Maybe this is because I have in my ~/.psqlrc:
 \pset linestyle unicode \pset border 2

in which case your reuse of the the aligned stuff should take care of the
border setting to avoid using special UTF8 characters..

--
Fabien.