Re: [HACKERS] Other formats in pset like markdown, rst, mediawiki - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jan Michálek
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Other formats in pset like markdown, rst, mediawiki
Date
List pgsql-hackers

I still do not understand "why" this variant vs CommonMark or whatever
other version.

Because of simply implementation and readability (looks similar to aligned
format) and it is comfortable to edit generated table (changing values,
aligning columns etc.).

Hmmm. Why not.

Sorry, maybe I`m not understanding, there is problems with characters like
pipe in cells, pipe should be escaped. What other special markdown
characters? Escaping html code in cells?

Markdown include characters/sequences which are interpreted as markers: _Italic_, **Bold**, *** => horizontal rules, > block quote... `inline code`... If they are interpreted within a table cell then probably they should be escaped somehow.

I`m able to sanitize characters, but complex sequences will be problem. I will look on this, but I don`t know, if I`m able to do this.

My main interest on this was in rst. I`m using markdown only in github issues and my knowldge about md is poor.

Main of the functionality is used from aligned format. I tested returned
tables in retext and it works. If i have another character than standart
pipe, it shouldn`t work.

Sure. ISTM that you are currently using U+2502 instead of pipe, hence my
point.

Could you send me example where?

I already did in the first mail with the example output copy pasted from psql. Some characters are pipe and others are BOX DRAWINGS LIGHT VERTICAL characters.

Maybe this is because I have in my ~/.psqlrc:

 \pset linestyle unicode
 \pset border 2

in which case your reuse of the the aligned stuff should take care of the border setting to avoid using special UTF8 characters..

Yes, it looks it is done by linestyle.

jelen=# SELECT 1;

| ?column? |
|----------|
|        1 |

(1 row)

jelen=# \pset linestyle unicode
Line style is unicode.
jelen=# SELECT 1;

│ ?column? │
|----------|
│        1 │

(1 row)

jelen=#

I have prepared linestyle for rst and md, but I can`t switch linestyle outside, because if i did it
\pset linestyle
wrote "markdown" or "rst".
I see, problem is only in cells borders, I will correct this.

Jan

--
Fabien.

--