Re: Users/Roles do not align. - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Jürgen Purtz
Subject Re: Users/Roles do not align.
Date
List pgsql-docs
> There's a few things wrong about this part anyway- namely that we've got
> FDWs now, and there's certainly other cluster-wide things that exist
> beyond the specific items listed, so I wonder if perhaps we should just
> stop trying to list everything here.

Inspiring answer! After some inquiry I became aware, that we do not have
only 2 levels of 'belong-to' but 3: tables, views, operators, and much
more objects belong to a schema; schemata, extensions (e.g. FDW), and
more(?) belong to a database; databases, roles, tablespaces, and more
belong to a cluster. Two aspects of 'belong-to' are: object names are
unique within their level, and objects are automatically known
everywhere within their level.

Information about such dependencies and their consequences is spread
across different chapters of the documentation and the System Catalog.
Of course the chapter about roles/users is not suitable to explain the
details. But it's important to know the hierarchy, it shut be summarized
somewhere.

Kind regards,  J. Purtz