Re: Users/Roles do not align. - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: Users/Roles do not align.
Date
List pgsql-docs
Greetings,

* Jürgen Purtz (juergen@purtz.de) wrote:
> >Based on this, I believe Section 5.9 should read:
> >`A PostgreSQL database cluster contains one or more named databases. Roles
> >are shared across the entire cluster, but no other data is shared across
> >databases. Any given client connection to the server can access only the
> >data in a single database, the one specified in the connection request.`
>
> imo the following is a more precise wording:
>
> 'A cluster contains three or more named databases ('template0', 'template1',
> 'postgres', ...). Roles, which are users or groups, see Chapter 21, - as

Roles aren't 'users or groups', they're roles, and we don't actually
have users or groups today.

> well as database names and tablespace definitions - are shared across the
> entire cluster. No other data is shared across databases or schemas. Any
> given client connection to the server can access only the data in a single
> database, the one specified in the connection request. If it has the
> necessary privileges, the connection can access all schemas within this
> database.'

There's a few things wrong about this part anyway- namely that we've got
FDWs now, and there's certainly other cluster-wide things that exist
beyond the specific items listed, so I wonder if perhaps we should just
stop trying to list everything here.  The description given in 22.1
seems like it's a lot better since it talks about the hierarchy in a
general sense.

The minimalistic approach suggested initially seems like it might be the
best answer to this right now.

Thanks,

Stephen

Attachment