Re: making the backend's json parser work in frontend code - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David Steele
Subject Re: making the backend's json parser work in frontend code
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 1/23/20 11:05 AM, Robert Haas wrote:
 > On Thu, Jan 23, 2020 at 12:49 PM Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
 >> Another idea is to use base64 for all non-ASCII file names, so we don't
 >> need to check if the file name is valid UTF8 before outputting --- we
 >> just need to check for non-ASCII, which is much easier.
 >
 > I think that we have the infrastructure available to check in a
 > convenient way whether it's valid as UTF-8, so this might not be
 > necessary, but I will look into it further unless there is a consensus
 > to go another direction entirely.
 >
 >> Another
 >> problem, though, is how do you _flag_ file names as being
 >> base64-encoded?  Use another JSON field to specify that?
 >
 > Alvaro's proposed solution in the message to which you replied was to
 > call the field either 'path' or 'path_base64' depending on whether
 > base-64 escaping was used. That seems better to me than having a field
 > called 'path' and a separate field called 'is_path_base64' or
 > whatever.

+1. I'm not excited about this solution but don't have a better idea.

It might be nice to have a strict mode where non-ASCII/UTF8 characters
will error instead, but that can be added on later.

Regards,
--
-David
david@pgmasters.net