Re: making the backend's json parser work in frontend code - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: making the backend's json parser work in frontend code
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2020-Jan-24, David Steele wrote:

> It might be nice to have a strict mode where non-ASCII/UTF8 characters will
> error instead, but that can be added on later.

"your backup failed because you have a file we don't like" is not great
behavior.  IIRC we already fail when a file is owned by root (or maybe
unreadable and owned by root), and it messes up severely when people
edit postgresql.conf as root.  Let's not add more cases of that sort.

Maybe we can get away with *ignoring* such files, perhaps after emitting
a warning.