Re: making the backend's json parser work in frontend code - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: making the backend's json parser work in frontend code
Date
Re: making the backend's json parser work in frontend code  (David Steele <david@pgmasters.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jan 23, 2020 at 12:49 PM Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> Another idea is to use base64 for all non-ASCII file names, so we don't
> need to check if the file name is valid UTF8 before outputting --- we
> just need to check for non-ASCII, which is much easier.

I think that we have the infrastructure available to check in a
convenient way whether it's valid as UTF-8, so this might not be
necessary, but I will look into it further unless there is a consensus
to go another direction entirely.

> Another
> problem, though, is how do you _flag_ file names as being
> base64-encoded?  Use another JSON field to specify that?

Alvaro's proposed solution in the message to which you replied was to
call the field either 'path' or 'path_base64' depending on whether
base-64 escaping was used. That seems better to me than having a field
called 'path' and a separate field called 'is_path_base64' or
whatever.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company