Re: [GENERAL] Vacuum and state_change - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Vacuum and state_change
Date
List pgsql-general
On 06/09/2017 02:26 PM, armand pirvu wrote:

>>> By temporary tables I mean just regular table not tables created by "create temporary table" . I should have been
moreprecise. We call them temporary since we do drop them after all is said and done. Maybe we should change the way we
callthem

>> You will want to look at this before making that decision:
>>
>> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/static/sql-createtable.html
>>
>> Temporary Tables
>>

>> Basically, temporary tables are session specific.
>>

> I noticed that, but since we use multiple schemas can not have a session temp table in non temp schema

A true temporary table is going to be in its own temporary schema:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/static/runtime-config-client.html#GUC-SEARCH-PATH

"Likewise, the current session's temporary-table schema, pg_temp_nnn, is
always searched if it exists. It can be explicitly listed in the path by
using the alias pg_temp. If it is not listed in the path then it is
searched first (even before pg_catalog). However, the temporary schema
is only searched for relation (table, view, sequence, etc) and data type
names. It is never searched for function or operator names."

> We have those in place for a specific reason in case we mess some processing in between and we want to be able to
havethe data which we started with.

> As of now I don’t think we have a draw back per se. We are poised to go live on Postgres soon though so I was
thinkingmaybe have this upgrade done before going live ? Just a thought

Yeah well if you are in pre-production why not, if no other reason then
you get another year of community support on the back end.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com