Re: [GENERAL] pg_catalog tables don't have constraints? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Neil Anderson
Subject Re: [GENERAL] pg_catalog tables don't have constraints?
Date
List pgsql-general

On 9 Jun 2017 14:59, <kbrannen@pwhome.com> wrote:
Neil Anderson <neil@postgrescompare.com> wrote:

> I've been exploring the pg_catalog tables and pointed a couple of tools at
> it to extract an ER diagram for a blog post. At first I thought it was a bug
> in the drawing tool but it appears that the relationships between the
> pg_catalog tables are implicit rather than enforced by the database, is that correct?

Every time I have to dive into the pg_* tables, I really want such a diagram because
the relationships aren't obvious to me, so I've been looking for a diagram like that
and haven't found one. I've also considered trying to make one, but with all of the
custom types, my normal ERD tool isn't very cooperative.

Would you be willing to share the diagram with the list when you're done?

Would you be willing to share the names of the tools and process you used to create the diagram?

Of course. My plan is to copy the catalogs into a new schema so I can add fk constraints and then get something like navicat or datagrip to draw it.

Thanks,
Kevin