Re: good settings for DB parameters such as shared_buffers, checkpoint_segment in Postrgesql 9 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From tv@fuzzy.cz
Subject Re: good settings for DB parameters such as shared_buffers, checkpoint_segment in Postrgesql 9
Date
List pgsql-general
> On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 3:30 AM, tuanhoanganh <hatuan05@gmail.com> wrote:
>> My Computer is running POS with Postgres 8.9.11 database

Not sure which version is that. There's nothing like 8.9.11 ...

>>  Ram : 16GB
>>  OS : Windows 2008 R2
>>  CPU XEON 2G
>>  User : 50-60 user (connect ~ 200 connects, I increase Windows
>> SharedSection=1024,20480,1024 for > 125 connects).
>>  DISK : RAID 1
>> What will be good settings for DB parameters such as shared_buffers,
>> checkpoint_segment and etc.
>> My application run slowly when >= 30 users
>
> I'd start by optimizing your queries, and looking for both extra and
> missing indexes that would help your queries.

Well, it's always useful to have a decent settings (default one is very
conservative and may significantly hurt performance in some cases).
Anyway, on Linux I'd bump up shared buffers (to something like 512MB) and
work_mem (maybe 4MB), increased effective_cache_size (to about 10GB), etc.
But he mentions Windows 2008 and I have no experience with running PG on
this OS.

> What kind of disk do you have? Are these just local SATA drives?
> Perhaps you need faster drives.

I think it's too early to recommend buying faster drives. You have not
identified the bottleneck and what's causing it.

regards
Tomas