Re: Non-personal blogs on Planet - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
Subject Re: Non-personal blogs on Planet
Date
List pgsql-www
On 24/02/2020 14:22, Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum wrote:

> Hello,
>
> right now, the posting policy[1] for Planet is that every blog must be
> associated with a person:
>
> "Blogs should be submitted by a community account in the name of the
> blog author"
>

> It so happens that I have a new project coming up (approval still
> pending,
> but submitted under my name) where the content is not about me, or from
> me, but a series of interviews. That's something where my name doesn't
> even
> need to be tackled on.
>

> This raises the question if blogs can be non-personal, but project
> related, or company related. Any of the related PostgreSQL projects
> could post updates, without using personal accounts for this.

So I gather having personal accounts tied to this is primarily a way
to make sure that people don't spam. I'm still not sure if this policy is
useful, or what stops anyone from legally posting every Slonik
picture one by one on Planet, but ok.

The main reason this discussion comes up is that people use their very
personal accounts to post something which is project or conference related.
For an outsider, this might even be confusing: why isn't the conference
posting these news, why a person.

Another proposal, and a compromise:

How about specific blog feeds (like: a conference feed) are tied to
a personal account, but author (and maybe category name) can be
specified.

Looking at the current top post on Planet as an example, there are
a few broken and unclear things:

pgDay Paris 2020 - Interview with Daniel Vérité
Author: Vik Fearing
Category: PostgreSQL Europe

Immediately this raises the question why such a posting is in
"PostgreSQL Europe", when the conference is pgDay Paris.

Clicking on the link under the title brings me to "Latest News",
instead of the actual interview - but I assume that is broken on
either the Paris website or the PGEU news system.
https://2020.pgday.paris/##31

Clicking on "PostgreSQL Europe" brings me to the PGEU site,
but this is not pgDay Paris either.
https://www.postgresql.eu/

And for any outsider: who is this Vik guy? Why is he posting
an interview when the title talks about a conference. Clicking
on his name also brings me to the PGEU main website, where
I rather would expect a list of postings by this account.

If this specific feed is modified to still be tied to Vik's account,
but shows "pgDay Paris Team" as author, then the content
ownership and responsibility is given, but the actual Planet
posting is more reasonable and makes sense. Also Vik is
in charge to see who can post on this specific feed.

Regards,

--
                Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
German PostgreSQL User Group