Re: Beginner Questions Please: Which To Go With ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Al Cohen
Subject Re: Beginner Questions Please: Which To Go With ?
Date
List pgsql-general
For learning about databases, probably I'd recommend them in this order:

1. Access
2. mySQL
3. PostgreSQL

Access has a really good GUI user interface for playing around, but you
can still use SQL, although the last time I checked it was Microsoft's
somewhat-different SQL.

MySQL is trivial to set up.

PostgreSQL really requires a little knowledge to be used.

Note that if you were looking for suggestions on which of these to use
in an actual production system, my recommendations would be reversed.
As of the last time I used it, Access has a hideous database backend
with a nifty unfixable random autocorrupt feature.  MySQL is not a
"real" database, although much better than Access.  PostgreSQL is
amazing - full-featured, fast, and sturdy.

Good luck!

Al Cohen
www.alcohen.com