Re: Beginner Questions Please: Which To Go With ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Frank Finner
Subject Re: Beginner Questions Please: Which To Go With ?
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

from my point of view (and according to my experiences) I wouldn´t recommend the use of MySQL
between Access and PostgreSQL. It has a somewhat similiar, although subtle different language
compared to PostgreSQL, and if one uses it, he will get used to that and going on to PostgreSQL will
become a little bit more difficult.

I learned to write my first SQL statements with Access about 8 years ago (really easy to use
interface, and you can compare your SQL statements with the graphical scheme by pressing a button),
because we had to do statistics on Excel and DBase data. Then I found the wonders of web
applications, tried MSQL and early MySQL and finally found PostgreSQL to be the better alternative.
Then I changed my job and_had_ to work with MySQL. This went on for 2 years, then I changed my job
again and could promote PostgreSQL as our main inhouse database. But the change from MySQL syntax to
PostgreSQL syntax is really not so easy, because they are very much, but not completely, alike.

Nowadays there are nice GUI tools available for PostgreSQL, like PgAdmin and pgaccess and the like,
so IMHO it is not necessary to learn SQL with Access, and MySQL - well - you wrote my opinion
already. And if one uses for example a Linux distribution, it is not much difference between setting
up shipped MySQL or shipped PostgreSQL.

If you don´t need to fiddle around with MS Office data by clipboard, especially SQL on Excel data,
but want to learn about a _database_, take PostgreSQL and nothing else. Access is not a real
database (aah, by the way: Did they manage to make it work with more than 64k rows?), but more the
SQL speaking part of MS Office, and MySQL is some kind of approach to a database, but not a really
good one.

Regards, Frank.