Re: Time to drop plpython2? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Mark Wong
Subject Re: Time to drop plpython2?
Date
Re: Time to drop plpython2?  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Feb 19, 2022 at 08:22:29AM -0800, Andres Freund wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 2022-02-19 02:00:28 +0000, Mark Wong wrote:
> > On Fri, Feb 18, 2022 at 02:41:04PM -0800, Andres Freund wrote:
> > > There's snapper ("pgbf [ a t ] twiska.com"), and there's Mark Wong's large
> > > menagerie. Mark said yesterday that he's working on updating.
> >
> > I've made one pass.  Hopefully I didn't make any mistakes. :)
>
> Unfortunately it looks like it wasn't quite enough. All, or nearly all, your
> animals that ran since still seem to be failing in the same spot...
>
> https://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_log.pl?nm=gadwall&dt=2022-02-19%2011%3A22%3A48
>
> checking Python.h usability... no
> checking Python.h presence... no
> checking for Python.h... no
> configure: error: header file <Python.h> is required for Python
>

> For that machine (and the other debian based ones) the relevant package likely
> is python3-dev.
>
> For the Red Hat and Suse ones, it's likely python3-devel.
>

> I've wondered before if it's worth maintaining a list of packages for
> dependencies for at least the more popular distros. It's annoying to have to
> figure it out everytime one needs to test something.
>

> FWIW, here's the recipe I just used to verify the packages necessary for
> Python.h to be found:
>
> $ podman run --rm -it opensuse/leap
> # zypper install -y python3
> # ls -l $(python3 -c "import sysconfig; print(sysconfig.get_config_var('INCLUDEPY'))")/Python.h
> <file not found>
> # zypper install -y python3-devel
> # ls -l $(python3 -c "import sysconfig; print(sysconfig.get_config_var('INCLUDEPY'))")/Python.h
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3221 Jan  4 14:04 /usr/include/python3.6m/Python.h
>
> (Wow, zypper repos are expensive to refresh. And I thought dnf was slow doing
> so, compared to apt.)

Oops, made another pass for python3 dev libraries.

I can't seem to find archived ppc repos OpenSUSE Leap 43.2.  I'm
debating whether to disable python or upgrade/rebrand that animal for a
newer SUSE release.  I've stopped my cron jobs on this animal for the
time being.

Regards,
Mark