Re: Add DBState to pg_control_system function - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Fujii Masao
Subject Re: Add DBState to pg_control_system function
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On 2022/02/01 13:22, Bharath Rupireddy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think emitting DBState (staring up, shut down, shut down in
> recovery, shutting down, in crash recovery, in archive recovery, in
> production) via the pg_control_system function would help know the
> database state, especially during PITR/archive recovery. During
> archive recovery, the server can open up for read-only connections
> even before the archive recovery finishes. Having, pg_control_system
> emit database state would help the users/service layers know it and so
> they can take some actions based on it.
>
> Attaching a patch herewith.
>
> Thoughts?

This information seems not so helpful because only "in production" and "archive recovery" can be reported during normal
runningand recovery, respectively. No? In the state other than them, we cannot connect to the server and execute
pg_control_system().

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao