Re: BUG #16927: Postgres can`t access WAL files - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: BUG #16927: Postgres can`t access WAL files
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Fri, Mar 19, 2021 at 04:56:45PM -0700, Andres Freund wrote:
> - I think there needs to be a reference to the problem, otherwise we'll
>   just redo this a couple years down the line
> - I'd not add the XXX, because the whole idea of durable_rename_excl
>   seems wrong to me, and it might motivate people to come up with
>   patches...

Fine by me to remove that :)

What about replacing the XXX comment by a small note, say:
"On Windows, using a hard link followed by an unlink() causes
concurrency issues with code paths interacting with those files, a
rename does not cause that."

If you have a better idea, which I am sure you do, please feel free to
send suggestions.
--
Michael

Attachment