Re: Add LSN along with offset to error messages reported for WAL file read/write/validate header failures - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: Add LSN along with offset to error messages reported for WAL file read/write/validate header failures
Date
In response to Re: Add LSN along with offset to error messages reported for WAL file read/write/validate header failures  (Bharath Rupireddy <bharath.rupireddyforpostgres@gmail.com>)
Responses Re: Add LSN along with offset to error messages reported for WAL file read/write/validate header failures  (Bharath Rupireddy <bharath.rupireddyforpostgres@gmail.com>)
Re: Add LSN along with offset to error messages reported for WAL file read/write/validate header failures  (Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Dec 20, 2022 at 06:04:40PM +0530, Bharath Rupireddy wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 20, 2022 at 1:27 PM Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
>> Caught this thread late. To me, pg_dissect_walfile_name() is a
>> really strange name for a function. Grepping our I code I see the
>> term dissect s used somewhere inside the regex code and exactly
>> zero instances elsewhere. Which is why I definitely didn't
>> recognize the term...
>>
>> Wouldn't something like pg_split_walfile_name() be a lot more
>> consistent with the rest of our names?

Fine by me to change that if there is little support for the current
naming, though the current one does not sound that bad to me either.

> Hm. FWIW, here's the patch.

"split" is used a lot for the picksplit functions, but not in any of
the existing functions as a name.  Some extra options: parse, read,
extract, calculate, deduce, get.  "parse" would be something I would
be OK with.
--
Michael

Attachment