RE: Postgresql Query - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Bansal, Abhishek (Abhishek)
Subject RE: Postgresql Query
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Hi, Merlin,
Thank you for the update

Ok so there seems now no procedure, either complex, to restore the emptied files?
Would you like me to recommend few courses for PostgreSQL databases that will really help us understanding it better
andnevertheless the troubleshooting  steps?

Abhishek

-----Original Message-----
From: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com>
Sent: Monday, August 19, 2019 8:21 PM
To: Bansal, Abhishek (Abhishek) <bansal7@avaya.com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs@lists.postgresql.org
Subject: Re: Postgresql Query

On Mon, Aug 19, 2019 at 9:18 AM Bansal, Abhishek (Abhishek) <bansal7@avaya.com> wrote:

> Hi, Merlin,
>
> Thank you for the reply
>

> When files are emptied then it caused the outage for other servers
> using this server as a administration. The files were emptied because
> the disk space was keep increasing due so we emptied these files which
> eventually reduced the disk size however it caused another issues
>
> Below is the directory where the files are emptied
>
> /var/lib/pgsql/data/base

OK, your data is gone.  Essentially, you destroyed it; making any direct change to the files is extremely dangerous
particularlyif the database is running.  The right we to free space is to delete data from the database at the SQL
leveland do maintenance operations (like VACUUM FULL or CLUSTER) to mange the files down in terms of size.

I'm sorry fo the bad news but now it's time to move ahead.   Since the
database volume is full there are no likely recovery options except to restore the impacted from backup.  With some
effortyou may be able to get the current database back to a consistent state so that you may be able to restore
specifictables (rather than a full restore) but this requires in depth knowledge of database internals.  If you have no
databasethen the only way forward is to likely to do emergency recovery to grab out everything that is salvageable and
geta consistent database back up.

merlin