Re: Postgresql Query - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: Postgresql Query
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Mon, Aug 19, 2019 at 9:18 AM Bansal, Abhishek (Abhishek)
<bansal7@avaya.com> wrote:

> Hi, Merlin,
>
> Thank you for the reply
>

> When files are emptied then it caused the outage for other servers using this server as a administration. The files
wereemptied because the disk space was keep increasing due so we emptied these files which eventually reduced the disk
sizehowever it caused another issues

> Below is the directory where the files are emptied
>
> /var/lib/pgsql/data/base

OK, your data is gone.  Essentially, you destroyed it; making any
direct change to the files is extremely dangerous particularly if the
database is running.  The right we to free space is to delete data
from the database at the SQL level and do maintenance operations (like
VACUUM FULL or CLUSTER) to mange the files down in terms of size.

I'm sorry fo the bad news but now it's time to move ahead.   Since the
database volume is full there are no likely recovery options except to
restore the impacted from backup.  With some effort you may be able to
get the current database back to a consistent state so that you may be
able to restore specific tables (rather than a full restore) but this
requires in depth knowledge of database internals.  If you have no
database then the only way forward is to likely to do emergency
recovery to grab out everything that is salvageable and get a
consistent database back up.

merlin