Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 17 May 2004, Alvaro Herrera Munoz wrote:

> On Mon, May 17, 2004 at 04:55:50PM +0200, Zeugswetter Andreas SB SD wrote:
> > Can we try to do the 2PC patch now instead of waiting for subtransactions ?
>
> The last post from Heikki I read said that he discovered some serious
> problems with his implementation and he wanted do rethink about them.  I
> don't think he will be able to make it, mainly because if my patch gets
> accepted it will be too close to feature freeze (if it is June 1st).

That's still the status with my 2PC patch. It works, as long as you don't
try to touch system catalogs, use notifications, set session GUC
variables or do any other fancy stuff. In those cases you get a "not
implemented" error when you try to prepare the transaction, and the
it aborts.

I think I figured out the MVCC snapshot issues, but I haven't really
tested it so there could be some nasty race conditions I missed.

I won't make it to June 1., I'll be on vacation on May 20-27, and I'm
quite busy at work at the moment.

I'd like to get the patch committed as soon as the 7.6 release cycle
begins, with whatever limitations it has at that time.

- Heikki